The Bible calls us again and again to place our problems before one another and God for mutual care and support during hard times. The following is a week’s worth of nightly compassion Scriptures. As you read and consider this list, what jumps out?
- Weep with those who weep (Rom. 12:5).
- Bear one another’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ (Gal. 6:2).
- And be kind to one another, tenderhearted (Eph. 4:32).
- Let each of you look not to your own interests, but to the interests of others (Phil. 2:4).
- Therefore encourage one another and build up each other, as indeed you are doing (1 Thess. 5:11).
- Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest (Matt. 11:28).
- Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you (1 Pet. 5:7).
Sharing lows teaches your children that they are part of life. Sharing these lows before God and a trusted Christian family or a “family of friends” shows your children that they are never alone. Admitting disappointment, weakness, fear and anger out loud is what healthy people do. It reinforces the Church at its most elemental level.
Why not start tonight?